Baseball existed in Cleveland long before League Park came into existence. As early as 1869 professional teams were competing. The Cleveland Spiders of the National League initially played at the corner of East 39th Street and Payne Avenue. According to Peter Jedick in his book "League Park", Spider owner Frank DeHass Robinson, also owner of the Payne and Superior streetcar lines, began searching for a field large enough to support the growing interest in the the sport as well as make some money for his trolley line.. He found that at at the northeast corner of Lexington Avenue and E. 66th Street.
Today the old Cleveland Spiders ballpark is no more. Residential development spread east engulfing every available piece of real estate.
The League Park Society is not affiliated with the City of Cleveland, the Cleveland Indians Baseball Club, the Cleveland Browns, the National Football League (NFL) or Major League Baseball (MLB)
© 2013 LegauePark.org. All rights reserved.